Broccoli Salad is a refreshing change from Potato Salad or Macaroni Salad. I actually blanched the broccoli for about 2 minutes. Thats when they turn bright green. They give a more ‘broccoli’ flavor to the salad than just raw, but it’s still has that crunch too.
Most of these ingredients are open for interpretation if you don’t have everything on hand, but this specific combination is a hit every time. It gives the right balance of salty, sweet, tang and freshness in every bite.
Perfect for a picnic, BBQ, lunch boxes, or anytime.
- November 15, 2018
- 6-8 Servings
- 30 min
- Print this
- 2 crowns or 6 cups of of broccoli
- 1 cup small diced red pepper
- 1/2 cup small dice red onion
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup total of shredded cheddar and swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup cooked and crumbled bacon
- 1 cup mayo ( do not use not miracle whip or a salad dressing spread )
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp rice or balsamic vinegar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Step 1
- Segment broccoli into small segments about 1 1/2 inch around.
- Step 2
- Prepare a steamer basket and a large bowl of ice water.
- Step 3
- Steam the broccoli for no more than 2 minutes when the broccoli turns bright green.
- Step 4
- Immediately into the ice bath to stop the cooking. Then transfer the broccoli to a large bowl. Add the other ingredients in the bowl.Set aside.
- Step 5
- For the dressing:
- Step 6
- Whisk the mayo, sour cream, vinegar, salt and pepper together.
- Step 7
- Pour over the salad ingredients and mix well.
- Step 8