Some vegetables have been overlooked for way too long and cabbage is one of them. Thanks to a lot of chefs out there the cabbage is coming into it’s own and we are seeing Cabbage Steaks and more cabbage based dishes on the menu.
I hope there will be more varieties available in stores but until then we can enjoy these beautiful Purple Cabbage Steaks treated as you would a fine steak in a steak house. As I have said many time, I cook for a vegetarian but also am always on the hunt for really good vegetable dishes that can take center stage.
You will need a sharp knife and some practice to get these steaks cut evenly, but if they do come out uneven, they will still be delicious.
I find it’s better to steam the cabbage steaks before a couple of minutes before searing them.
This recipe definitely counts when you are eating the rainbow in your diet.
Other recipes you may like:
- October 28, 2018
- 1 hr
- Print this
- 2 small purple cabbages
- 4 tsp garlic powder
- 4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp nigella seeds
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- Chive Butter
- 1/2 stick of softened salted butter
- 1 bunch chives diced about 1/4 cup. Reserve about 2 tbsp for garnish
- Step 1
- Prepare your chive butter by simply folding the chives into the butter. Get a piece of wax paper or plastic wrap about 12’x12’ inches wide and place the butter about 2 inches from the bottom. Now start rolling the butter into a small cylinder and close up both sides. Set in the fridge.
- Step 2
- Carefully cut steaks out of the cabbage. You should get two good ones from each cabbage. Use the center of the core as your guide. Cut lengthwise about 1 inch from that center line. Then cut through the center line. Then 1 inch after that. Set aside.
- Step 3
- Prepare a steamer. Also prepare your pan or cast iron skillet to sear the steaks. Heat the pan to medium high heat and add the 1 tbsp of olive oil when the pan get hot.
- Step 4
- Steam the steaks one by one about 1 minute on each side then immediately transfer to your heated pan with the olive oil. Season each side of the steaks with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Add olive oil as necessary.
- Step 5
- Sear each side to your liking. Place on a platter and add slices of your chive butter while hot.
- Step 6