If you love Banana Bread, and I’ve got a great recipe for that too, You’ve got to make this Caramelized Banana Cake!
It’s and upside down recipe where the banana and caramel that make the top goes on the bottom first and gets flipped to reveal the caramely goodness! The caramel and the slices of banana also make the cake nice and moist.
It’s the perfect thing to bake to go along side a steaming cup of Hot Chocolate or Chai Tea in the fall and winter months, but don’t get me wrong, you’ll want to bake this all year round. The ginger an cinnamon spice makes it perfect for that time of year.
Other recipes you may enjoy:
Sticky Date Cake
Caramelized Banana Cake
- October 5, 2018
- Print this
- 1 1/3 cup + 1 1/2 tbsp AP flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 4 tbsp butter room temp
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup + 1 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup greek yogurt
- Banana Caramel Topping
- 2/3 stick salted butter
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp, tightly packed light Muscovado or dark sugar
- 3-4 ripe bananas, but still a little firm
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Step 2
- Prepare the bottom. This will eventually be the top!
- Step 3
- Butter a 12 x 17 inch and 1inch deep pan and cover the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
- Step 4
- Peel and cut the bananas in half lengthwise.
- Step 5
- Melt the butter in a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Stir in sugar and vanilla and cook for 2-3 minutes over medium heat until combined and until sugar is melted. The caramel will be a little gritty. Spread the caramel over the baking paper in the bottom of the pan. Place the bananas cut side down over the caramel. Be careful, this caramel is very hot!
- Step 6
- The caramel gritty texture will smooth right out in the oven.
- Step 7
- For the Cake
- Step 8
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Step 9
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the flour alternating with the yogurt in two additions, beginning and ending with flour. Beat until just smooth.
- Step 10
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan over the caramel and bananas. Smooth the top with an offset spatula.
- Step 11
- Make sure to put a baking sheet covered with baking paper or a sheet of foil on the lowest rack of the oven to catch any drips from the cake. This means it’s going to be ooey gooey! Bake the cake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Start checking around 40 minutes.
- Step 12
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Step 13
- Prepare a large serving platter or plate to put the cake on.
- Step 14
- After the 5 minutes, take a knife an run it around the edges of the cake to loosen. Then invert the cake onto the platter and peel off the piece of baking paper.
- Step 15
- Let cool a bit before serving and stand in awe at this beautiful cake!
- Step 16