Caramelized onions are a staple to have in the fridge. A great go to for flavoring quick dinners that taste like they took hours to make.
Add these to soups, pastas, sandwiches and burgers, pizza, and my favorite is to make an onion dip. They are a key ingredient to my 3 Way Onion Burger.
Make sure you cook them long enough to get that true deep caramelized flavor. Don’t be afraid of some really dark spots on the onions.
- May 21, 2018
- 2 cups Servings
- 45 min
- Print this
- 5-6 medium size red onions (you can also use yellow or sweet)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- Step 1
- Cut onions in half then make slices from the halves about 1/8 inch wide
- Step 2
- Heat oil and butter in a heavy skillet until butter is melted
- Step 3
- Add onions a few handfuls at a time and stir often until they all fit in the pan
- Step 4
- Add Maple syrup and vinegar and salt
- Step 5
- Continue to cook on medium to low heat until the onions are a deep brown ‘caramel’ color. The deeper the color the deeper the flavor.
- Step 6
- Let cool and put in a jar in the fridge. They won’t stay there for long
- Step 7
- Yields about 2 cups
- Step 8