Decorating and adding flavor to store bought ice cream cones is as easy as 1.2.3. You can get a few different ice cream cones these days the most popular being the waffle variety, but I still love the nostalgic ones too. The even come in fun colors like pink, green, and cocoa. Those are the ones I used.
I also used sugar cones to add some fun color and glitter. These can be made to be very ‘adult’ looking for an old fashioned ice cream social or party.
These cones will be the talk of your next party or BBQ. Make extra for some fun on regular days that call for a treat.
How to make decorated ice cream cones
- Choose your cones. They can be waffle, sugar, or traditional
- Get some Candy melts in what ever colors you choose
- Food color along with some clear alcohol like vodka or a clear flavored extract
- Temper some dark or milk chocolate ( see how and why to temper chocolate here). If you do not temper the chocolate, the chocolate will remain tacky and will never fully set and harden.
- Have a selection of sprinkles, glitter, or other choice of decorations
- Gather needed utensils and bowls: Separate bowls for the chocolate, sprinkles, nuts, and candy melts. A butter or plastic knives.
- If using food color, use a white plate so you can see the true colors when mixing them
- A platter or baking sheet to place the decorated cones
- A few paper towels on hand
- Heat Candy Melts according to the directions and be careful not to over heat in microwave
- Sprinkle over confections immediately and set aside on a baking sheet. it take not time for them to set
- If you choose to use chocolate, place the dipped cones in the fridge to set faster or leave out on the counter and they will set in about an hour or 2 depending on your room temperature.
Now for the fun! Top your ice cream cones with any and all ice creams, sorbets, gelato, and sherbets.
OTHER RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE
CHOCOLATE CHERRY ICE CREAM
NO CHURN APRICOT ICE CREAM
TYE DYE CHERRY PIES