Dutch Apple Pie is the best of dessert worlds: the foundation of pie with the bonus of lots of crumb topping we love so much on crumb and coffee cakes.
I decorated this pie with 2 braids around the edges and 2 large free hand leaves. It looked very pretty unbaked and baked, but it sure took longer than I thought to bake about 1 hour and 15 minutes. This was my first try at braiding pie dough and it was a little bit of a challenge. The dough couldn’t be too cold or it wasn’t flexible enough, and it couldn’t be too warm since that would cause it to break. There is no exact timing for this since everyone’s kitchen environment is different. Once you get the right temp you need to work fast but methodical. Have your egg wash ready and get the egg wash on to glue the braiding or whatever other decoration you’ll be using.
So no extra decoration means less time in the oven. You can use the extra dough for another pie and/or wrap it tightly and put it in the freezer for the next one. The dough will last a good 3 days in the fridge.
A good 50/50 mix of two firm apples will make for a delicious full ‘apple’ taste. The go to’s will be Green Apples plus any of these varieties: Fuji, Braeburn, Empire, , Gala, Pink Lady, Jonagold, Crispin, and Stayman.
My Fool Proof Pie Dough recipe is great for decorative pies ane really stands up through baking.
*CHECK OUT THESE TIPS FOR PIE DOUGH DECORATION SUCCESS!
At the end of the day, if the pie is delicious all will be forgiven. Practice makes close to perfect.
Dutch Apple Pie
- November 16, 2018
- 8-10 Servings
- 2 hr
- Print this
- I prepared 9 inch pie shell or one Fool Proof Pie Dough recipe for a decorative pie.
- For the Egg Wash
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- For the Filling
- 5 cups peeled, thin sliced, and cored apples. Place in a bowl of water with 2 tbsp of lemon juice.
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Apple Pie Spice
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp melted butter cooled
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 5 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- For the Crumb Topping
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 butter
- Step 1
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Step 2
- Make an egg wash by blending the whole egg and egg yolk thoroughly. Set aside.
- Step 3
- Drain Apples well of all the lemon water.
- Step 4
- Add the brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, apple pie spice, nutmeg, salt, melted butter lemon juice, flour and vanilla into the apples. Mix well.
- Step 5
- Roll out your pie dough a little wider than you pie pan. Turn under the dough around the edges and crimp or flatten if you are adding any decoration. Use a pastry brush to brush on a thin layer of egg wash to add decorative dough. Set in the fridge to chill for at east 20 minutes.
- Step 6
- Mix together the ingredients for the crumb topping. The mixture should be a little moist and everything is blended well to the texture of wet sand.
- Step 7
- Fill the pie shell with the filling.
- Step 8
- Add the crumb topping. Be sure to cover all of the apples.
- Step 9
- Add another thin layer of egg wash to any pie dough decoration.
- Step 10
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 50 minutes to 1hr 15 minutes.
- Step 11
- Let cool for about an hour before cutting. This lets the juices settle into the pie.
- Step 12