Fresh Sweet Creamed Corn with Marjoram Oil
- August 29, 2018
- 30 min
- Print this
- 2 large ears of the sweetest corn you can find
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 2 tsp fresh marjoram leaves
- 2 tbsp fresh chives chopped
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- Salt and white pepper to taste about 1 tsp each
- Step 1
- Cut corn kernels off the cob. Then “milk” the corn and add to kernels.
- Step 2
- In a medium saucepan, heat butter then add the corn
- Step 3
- Add sugar, salt and white pepper
- Step 4
- Cook corn until it has thickened about 10 minutes.
- Step 5
- For Marjoram Oil
- Step 6
- Blend marjoram, chives, olive oil and a pinch salt and pepper in a blender. Add more salt and pepper to taste if necessary.
- Step 7
- Transfer corn to serving dish and drizzle on oil.
- Step 8
Corn is one of my favorite vegetables so I can’t wait for corn to come into season so I can make my favorite dishes like this Fresh Sweet Creamed Corn.
I liked the creamed corn out of the can as a kid. I guess because it was sweet but sometimes the kernels were a little tough. Creamed corn is great to add to cornbread for Spoon Bread or Corn Pudding and to fortify soups. You can even blend it for a nice sauce for chicken or vegetables for that special something taste.
Making it from scratch couldn’t be better for these recipes and you can freeze it for later use if need be but you’ll have to make two batches!
I added some marjoram oil on top for extra freshness.
To get the most out of your corn you will need to “milk” it. Sounds crazy right? but necessary. You “milk” the corn by scrapping the cob with the back of your knife after cutting off the kernels. That’s the white liquid that comes out of the kernel. This milking will give you added creaminess and sweet corn flavor!
Other recipes you may like:
Fried Green Tomatoes