So southern and so good. As we know, most things that are fried taste good and the tomato and the Fried Green Tomato is no exception.
Perhaps the movie Steel Magnolias made fried green tomatoes popular to everyone else and was no longer a secret.You can find them in more popular restaurants and cafe who cook with a southern slant.
The breading technique is the same as anything else getting fried:
A. Flour dredge
B. Egg dredge
C. Bread crumb, flour or panko dredge
These fried beauties can be put on top of a burger, served for breakfast as a side dish or on a breakfast sandwich, accompanying a salad for lunch or dinner, and star in their own Fried Green Tomato Sandwich with fresh corn sauce. Get that recipe here.
I hope you try these and add a little southern charm to your table.
3 dredging containers
Fried Green Tomatoes
- August 24, 2018
- 1 hr
- Print this
- 1 large green tomato
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup corn meal
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- *Note: The recipe is for one tomato which will serve 2. Multiply the recipe for how ever many servings you may need
- Step 1
- Prepare your dredge: In separate containers prepare one for flour, one for the egg, and one for a mixture of the cornmeal and panko bread crumbs.
- Step 2
- Salt and pepper each one.
- Step 3
- Slice the tomato about 1/4 inch thick.
- Step 4
- Dredge a tomato slice in the flour first.
- Step 5
- Then the egg
- Step 6
- Then the cornmeal and panko mixture.
- Step 7
- Set aside
- Step 8
- Heat the vegetable oil in a small cast iron skillet on med high.
- Step 9
- Place a couple of slices in the skillet and fry until golden brown on each side.
- Step 10
- Place on a paper towel or cooling rack until ready to each which is now!
- Step 11
Other recipes you may enjoy:
Fried Green Tomato Sandwich
Heirloom Tomato Galette with Herbed Crust