Have you been looking for a great tasting and dependable Sugar Cookie Recipe. I was and I finally found it! The recipe comes from a blog called Two Sisters Crafting and I have referenced a link to it on my Valentines post where I made the most beautifully satisfying heart cookies. Cookies are such a great way to celebrate any holiday like Mother’s Day and because they can be made for individuals.
The Sugar Cookie Dough
My additions to this already great recipe was flavoring. Since I do not want to mess with the structure of the recipe, I added the same amount of flavoring requested which is 2 tbsp of Vanilla, and I substituted 1 Tbsp of Almond Extract and 1/2 Tbsp of Lemon Extract and 1/2 Tbsp of Vanilla equalling 2 Tbsps. I also added the zest of a 1 whole orange and 1 lemon. The zest just punctuated the extracts and gave a bright and fresh taste.
This recipe is perfect for cookies to keep there shape as well as the taste. I made 3 different square sizes for the floral portraits I painted using a palette knife just as I would on a regular canvas. I cut out cardboard pieces in 8×0, 6×7, and 5×6 approximately and traced around them. The circles were 7″ and for those I used a plate.
Each cookie can serve 4 or more people with these sizes. I also thought it would be cute to make some artist palettes out of cookie dough too. I freehanded those but i have seen cookie cutters on Etsy. Even though they were a last edition, I think they might be my favorite.
I wanted to use my painting skills to create something different. I swoon over Soocake_ully’s instagram and it was such an inspiration to create a large cookie with flowers. I am still practicing with that and will be making more on the future for sure!
Now that we have the right cookie base as our canvas, we need a frosting that will do the colors justice so that everything is picture perfect. That means having an icing that is as close to white as possible. I love the look and taste of Cream Cheese Icing. You can use your favorite white frosting too of course. I used Americolor Gel Food Coloring.
I watched a LOT of Youtube videos to learn how to pipe flowers. There’s so many flowers and so little time! I am excited to see what I can come up with in the future.
How to get Inspired and Tips
- Watch videos to see what you like and what you feel you can comfortably do until your skills improve. Even professionals take classes to improve their skills.
- Get a basic gel food color kit, make some frosting and start experimenting with mixing colors.
- practice on a piece of parchment to get familiar and comfortable with your icing tips. Wilton has several basic kits.
- Don’t be afraid It’s just cookies with icing so if you don’t like the way it looks, just eat it before anyone sees it.
- After piping, put them in the freezer for easier transporting to your cookies
- Roll out the dough thick enough about 1/4 to 1/2 inch so they won’t break. Allow a little more time for baking.
I hope to be good enough to make a tutorial some day for these. Let me know what you make!