No doubt this is THE favorite cookie here in America. It’s hard to beat the combination of that buttery dough, semi-sweet chocolate and a touch of flaked salt at the end to bring out the depth in the chocolate.
This recipe is simple, but with one exception. I add the eggs last! Yes last. Not with the wet ingredients. I also prefer chunks over chips or you can do a mixture of both. Somehow it all makes for a cookie with the perfect ratio of melty chocolate, crisp edges, and a chewy yet soft center. My favorite cookie indeed.
SALTED DARK CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIES
- May 21, 2018
- 12 Servings
- 1 hr
- Print this
- 2 1/4 cups APF (all purpose flour)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup ( 2 sticks unsalted butter ) softened
- 3/4 cup packed mascovado sugar
- 3/4 granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 12 oz dark chocolate chunks shaved from a baking bar
- Flaked salt
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans (optional)
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Step 2
- Combine/sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Step 3
- In a mixer beat together softened butter, granulated sugar, mascovado and vanilla and blend until creamy about 2-3 minutes.
- Step 4
- Gradually add in flour mixture until well combined.
- Step 5
- Add in chocolate chunks and mix through.
- Step 6
- Add in beaten eggs and mix until well combined. The dough will take on a slightly darker color.
- Step 7
- Stir in nuts by hand if using.
- Step 8
- Using a 2” scoop, place cookies on baking sheet lined with a silpat mat, parchment, or ungreased baking pan. The cookies will spread so leave at least 2 inches between each cookie.
- Step 9
- Bake for approximately 11-13 minutes until golden brown around the edges. Sprinkle immediately with flaked salt.
- Step 10
- Try to stop eating them.
- Step 11
- Step 12
- The mascovado brown sugar gives the cookies a wonderful ‘carmely’ color and flavor. They turn out best if used.