This may be my favorite pie of all time. I don’t need a holiday or celebration to make this time any time of year. In a southern home or southern adjacent, this pie will be on the table for all holidays and maybe even a BBQ or 2.
The pie itself is very simple, just sweet potatoes and spice with binders of eggs and milk, but it takes sweet potatoes to another level as if they were put on this earth for this pie.
This pie rivals any pumpkin pie you’ve ever had. Trust.
Southern Sweet Potato Pie
- November 15, 2018
- Print this
- 1 unbaked pie shell or my foolproof Pie Dough recipe
- 4 medium soft baked sweet potatoes
- 1/2 stick softened butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Step 2
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and rub sweet potatoes with a little olive oil. Poke hole in the potatoes all over to help steam escape when cooking. Bake for about 1 hour and let cool and mash. Set aside.
- Step 3
- In a medium bowl or mixer with the paddle attachment, beat together butter, sugar, and brown sugar until creamy. Adde eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice and salt.
- Step 4
- Add evaporated milk until incorporated, then and small amounts of sweet potatoes until the mixture is smooth.
- Step 5
- Pour into the unbaked pie shell.
- Step 6
- Bake on the bottom rack of the oven for about 1 hour or until the middle bounces back when patted. Let cool for at least 1/2 hour.
- Step 7
- Enjoy with a dollop of whipped cream.