Nothing says autumn more than a bowl of winter squash soup. So comforting, delicious and simple to make.
This recipe can be subbed out with any winter squash really. That’s what makes it the best! It’s flexible. I used an heirloom variety called Hubbard squash, but you can use butternut, acorn, or pumpkin, or any other winter squash you like. Hubbard squash taste similar to acorn, buttery and earthy.
This soup is so pretty when blended smooth and draped with extra virgin olive oil and a little cream on top. I also garnished the soup with spiced honey glazed seeds and fried sage leaves. Please let me know how much you enjoyed this soup!
The Very Best Winter Squash Soup
- May 21, 2018
- 2 hr 30 min
- Print this
- 1 - 5 pound winter squash
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 large sweet onion
- 1 -2 garlic cloves
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- I large bay leaf
- Salt and Pepper to tase
- Step 1
- Heat oven to 375 degrees
- Step 2
- Cut off the top of your squash then cut in half
- Step 3
- Scoop out the seeds
- Step 4
- Salt and pepper each half. Drop 2 tbsp butter in each.
- Step 5
- Place on a baking sheet open side up. Layer a piece of foil on top. This will help keep the top flesh from drying out and creating a skin. Place in oven and bake for 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours. Stick a knife through the flesh to check doneness. Should be soft and scoopable.
- Step 6
- In a small saucepan or skillet, add about 1/2 inch of vegetable oil and heat on medium high. Test the oil by dropping in a sage leaf. if it’s start frying its ready to fry the sage bunches. Fry on each side for about 2 minutes then lest rest on a paper towel. ( Save this sage flavored oil for cooking chicken or roasting potatoes ! )
- Step 7
- Remove squash from oven and set aside to for 30 min to cool off a little before handling again.
- Step 8
- Scoop out squash and add to a medium size pot along with stock, onion, thyme, cumin, garlic cloves, salt and pepper to taste.
- Step 9
- Bring to a boil then simmer for about 30 minutes for flavors to meld.
- Step 10
- Remove bay leaf and thyme sprig. Blend with an emersion blender or use a really good blender. (be careful as this liquid can burn).
- Step 11
- Blend to desired consistency. Taste for any needed salt and pepper. Garnish.
- Step 12
- Serve immediately and wait for the compliments!